Business and Financial Services

Colorado State University

CSU Logo

Special Assets (SPAS) - A function of Accounts Receivable Operations

Location: Howes Street Business Center, 1st Floor    Mailing Address: 6024 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins,CO 80523-6024   Physical Address: 555 S Howes St.

Business Hours

8:30 AM - 4:30 PM M-F


Contact Information

Phone: (970) 491-7058
Fax: (970) 491-2452

Landscape View


Payment Options

Electronic Check and Credit Card Payments

Cash, Check or Debit Card: In person only -
Cashier's Office, 555 S Howes Street, Room 110
Office Hours:
8:30 AM - 4:30 PM M-F

Check Payments by Mail
Colorado State University
6015 Campus Delivery
Fort Collins CO 80523-6015

*Payments cannot be taken over the phone

Returned Checks

As provided by state law, a $17.00 penalty will be assessed to the account for each check not accepted by the bank because of insufficient funds, stopped payment, non-existent account or any other reason for which the person is responsible. Returned payments will cause a hold on registration, transcripts and diplomas, as well as a guaranteed funds hold that will remain on the account. ALL returned payments, plus penalty, and all future payments must be paid in guaranteed funds at the CSU Cashier's Office, located on the first floor of the Howes Street Business Center at 555 S. Howes St. Guaranteed funds include cash, money order, cashier's checks and pin-based debit cards. If a check was presented to clear a registration hold, and is not repaid as specified in correspondence, the student's classes may be cancelled. Insufficient funds checks under Colorado statute may constitute a felony offense.

A guaranteed funds hold will prevent you from making payment with a checking account, requiring you to make payment with cash, credit card, cashier’s check, wire transfer, etc.

For questions about a returned payment, please contact Max Kellogg at 970-491-3206, or 970-491-7058.


Why am I receiving a statement from Special Assets? What does this mean?
This is totally normal, and happens with any balance that is past due. Any past due balance will initially receive an email each month to advise the student or client that a balance is still owed. If that is not effective in getting a conversation started on it, then the University assigns that amount to Special Assets and the notification switches to a monthly paper statement.

What does “past due” mean?
If you were once a student, this means some or all tuition or charges were still unpaid after the initial University due date. Once the semester ends, anything remaining is assigned to Special Assets.

But I was never a student. Why am I getting a bill?
Tuition is not the only item that CSU will handle. There can be parking tickets, Vet Teaching Hospital services, Soil or Seed lab testing, Equine breeding and many other kinds of services provided through Colorado State University. If you have questions on the item owed, please call 970-491-7058.

I cannot pay by the due date on the statement. What do I do?
If you can’t pay in full, you can reach out to us by email at or at 970-491-7058 to see if we can work with you on a payment arrangement, or help you in researching if there are loans in the private sector that you can qualify for.

I already set up a payment arrangement, why am I still getting a statement?
You will receive a statement regardless of any arrangement. This is to ensure that we have communicated any prior payment you made, and any potential late charge in the next billing period that might have been added.

Can I skip a payment?
This is a possibility. We want to make sure we are working with you every step of the way. If you are working with a debt counselor, email or call them to discuss your situation and see what they can do to help you.

My payment got returned. Why did this happen and what do I do?
This can happen for many different reasons: This can be insufficient funds, the account number being entered incorrectly, or the account was closed. There are many more reasons than this, even. It’s important to read the communication (a letter or email) you received for more explanation. For questions about your returned payment, you can reach out to Max Kellogg at

Help! The due date on my statement says my payment was due the 10th, but I set up my payment arrangement for payments on the 20th. Will this affect my agreement?
No. The University does have a general due date for any balance owed. This is a way for the University to determine when late charges need to be added. However, our efforts have been made to align with a persons best pay date period. Not everyone can arrange their budget so that a payment is a good fit for them by the 10th each month. Your debt counselor will have worked with you on the date that works for you, so you don’t need to worry that you are late, or have defaulted on your agreement. These dates will not always align.

Why do I have a late charge?
All balances to the University are expected to be paid within 30 days. This includes charges outside of just tuition (VTH, Soil, parking citations, etc). Anything remaining or unpaid after that window is subject to a 1.5% late charge. Once you are on a payment arrangement or plan, monthly late payment charges will stop being placed on the balance.

How do I make a payment? I used to be able to log into RamWeb, but the site is telling me my EID is expired or invalid. What do I do?
We don’t take payments over the phone. As a student, you made payments on RamWeb. Once your last semester is over you will need to create a login to RamRecords. Go to and use the right side for RamRecords. Beneath login, select ‘create RamRecords id’. Your old EID information will not migrate with you, so please follow the prompts to get this completed, and this will be your new login area.

If you are paying for rent charges, you can pay them separately from your tuition in RamWeb. You can do the same think with a Perkins Loan payment.

I’m not a student, where do I go to make payment? What are my options?
We don’t take payments over the phone. If you have never been a student and are trying to pay something from VTH, seed lab, soil lab, or other testing labs on campus, you will have to call to have a link sent to you via email. You can do this at 970-491-2697, or be emailing

Does having a past due balance affect my credit?
Not if your balance is still internally with CSU. If your balance has been moved to a 3rd party collections agency, there is a possibility that it will be reported to one or more credit bureau.

Can I set my monthly payments up with ACH?
This is not a service we offer at this time. Presently, you will have to self-manage your payments by logging into your portal each month to make your payment. We do not send out any reminders for your payments.

What is the difference between a "payment plan" and a "payment arrangement"?
A payment plan is set up to pre-payments your student’s future semester(s). You start that here: A payment arrangement is for tuition that has already been billed and has not been paid within the first 30 days of the semester. This includes anything that is now assigned to Special Assets.

I tried to pay my balance online, but I got this message:

Your student account is past due and has been assigned to Special Assets, which is the internal collection department for Colorado State University.

Please call our department at 970-491-7058 or email us at BFS_Special_Assets@Mail.ColoState.EDU to make arrangements to pay your balance.

We do offer payment plans if you are unable pay the balance in full by your due date. We would like an opportunity to help you. Otherwise, payment can still be made online at this time.


What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The release of student records, including billing and payment information, at Colorado State University is bound by federal law (FERPA). FERPA restricts the type of information the university can share with individuals (including parents) and entities outside of Colorado State University unless specifically authorized, in writing, by the student.

A FERPA Release Form must be on file with the Accounts Receivable Operations (ARO) office before student account information can be released to anyone other than the student.

How do I sign a FERPA Release Form?
FERPA Release Forms, specific to billing and payment information, are available in RAMweb in the Student Resources section of the Billing Information page, or upon request from the ARO office, the CSU Cashier’s Office or the Office of Financial Aid. These forms will only be provided to the student and must be completed by the student. When returning the form, a photo ID must be provided. If the form is not being returned in person, a copy of the student’s photo ID must be included (via email/fax).

What if I have already signed a FERPA Release Form with another university office?
If you have already signed a FERPA Release Form with another office, you will still need to fill out a form with ARO specifying that you authorize us to speak with someone other than you regarding your billing and account information. ARO does not have access to records that are located within other departments at the university. Students seeking to release other student information should contact the department involved to determine the department’s requirements for the release of information.

What if I have granted billing access through FAMweb?
Providing FAMweb access to an authorized user is not a substitute for having a FERPA Release Form on file, and does not give ARO permission to speak with the authorized user regarding a student account. Even if the student has set up an authorized user to view billing information in FAMweb, ARO will still need a release form on file to discuss specific account information.

Where can I find more information?
The Colorado State University General Catalog, under University Policies.

CSU’s FERPA Policy


Office of the Registrar

FERPA forms for other offices do not transfer to us. You will still need to fill out a form for ARP and/or SPAS to authorize the sharing of student account information.

RAMweb / FAMweb

For more information about your Student Account visit:

  • RAMweb
  • FAMweb  *Your student must grant you access to use FamWeb

On RAMweb you can:

  • Set up access for parents or other trusted individuals to view billing statements and make payments online
  • Update your address
  • Review your student account - online statement
  • Find information about Education Tax Credits
  • Get information about your financial aid

*If you are having trouble accessing yourRamWeb/FamWeb, need to update a password or username, please contact the Registrar’s Office.

Other Helpful Campus Departments

Unpaid Balances and Citations

If your account with Colorado State University has been issued a final notice, and you fail to act by the notice’s given deadline, the account will be forwarded to an external collection agency. You will be responsible for paying any late payment charges, collection agency fees of 20% of the debt, and all costs and expenses including reasonable attorney fees that CSU incurs in its collection efforts. Your account will also be reported to one or more of the national credit bureaus as well as the Department of Revenue for possible interception of state income tax refunds and wage garnishment.

You can avoid further collection actions by remitting payment in full. Checks should be made payable to Colorado State University and mailed to the CSU Cashier's Office, 6015 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins CO 80523-6015. Please include your CSU ID or account number in the memo field of your check. Payment must be received by 4:00 p.m. MST by the due date to be considered on time; postmarks are not honored. We do not accept payment over the phone. For additional payment options, please visit the Cashier's Office webpage.